We provide therapy for people with problems in their hands and upper limb.
These problems may result in pain, stiffness, swelling or joint deformity, affecting your ability to perform work tasks, play sports, and perform various activities of daily living. The problems may be due to arthritis, fractures, joint dislocations, sporting injuries, tendon and nerve injury, crush injuries, overuse injuries, neuropathies, chronic pain, deQuervains tendinitis or carpal tunnel syndrome.
Hand therapy will include a thorough assessment of your problem, advice on how you can manage it, a home program of exercises and postural correction, and fabrication of appropriate splints and supports. If necessary, you may also be referred for X-rays or asked to organize a referral to see a Hand Surgeon for their opinion and surgical expertise.
We offer a multidisciplinary service by both physiotherapists and occupational therapists, and are happy to liaise with your GP, surgeon, and insurer to ensure you achieve the best possible outcome.
We are very happy for you to contact us to discuss whether we might be able to help with your condition.
Therapeutic modalities may include:
- Application of EXOS fracture brace
- Application and removal of waterproof fiberglass casts
- Fabrication and fitting of custom made neoprene supports for thumb and wrist
- Fabrication of leather wrist braces
- Fabrication of thermoplastic splints, both static and dynamic
- Desensitisation techniques including vibration, immersion and tapping
- Electrotherapy modalities, including laser, TENS and ultrasound
- Ergonomic modifications
- Exercise therapy, including stretches, strengthening and proprioceptive exercises
- Functional assessment and advice on activities of daily living
- Joint protection and energy conservation for arthritis
- Mobilisation techniques
- Oedema and wound management, including dressing changes
- Application of plaster back-slabs
- Scar management, including application of silicone products
- Serial casting for joint contracture
- Sports taping for thumb, fingers and wrist
- Work and activity hardening